On this page
Kinéis offers trial connectivity and provisioning for the off-the-shelf RF chip evaluation boards in a 3-month free evaluation program, by allowing access and use of the Kinéis Stack on the existing RF transceiver thanks to different pre-compiled libraries with a demonstration application code for the first transmissions.
Two different options are available for the Kinéis stack (please refer to Modulations for more details):
Low Power short messages service with VLDA4 modulation, which:
- allows to transmit short messages of 3 Bytes
- is currently compatible with only 3 of the operational Argos satellites
Standard Data uplink service with LDA2 or LDK modulation, which:
- allows to transmit standard messages of 19 Bytes (LDK) or 24 Bytes (LDA2)
- is compatible with all operational Argos satellites for the LDA2 modulation
All options will be available with all Kinéis satellites from 2024.
The off-the-shelf RF chip evaluation boards such as NUCLEO-WL55JC2 allow optimal transmission performances of short messages with VLDA4 modulation.
To reach optimal transmission performances of standard messages, a custom design including a power amplifying stage must be developed.
SmartSat Program - step by step
Buy an evaluation board and antenna
- Evaluation board: Nucleo-WL55JC2
- Recommended antenna: ANT-410-CW-QW-SMA by Linx Technologies
- If you already have the HA-401H-MSMA antenna from the Space Priority program, you may use it instead
Download the Kinéis stack library
- Download from STMicroelectronics:
- Download from Kinéis: kineis_signature.hex (right click > “Save link as…”)
- Download any terminal supporting Serial link display (ex: Realterm, Teraterm)
Get your credentials from Kinéis
- Start the STM32 CUBE Programmer and flash the Nucleo board with the downloaded file kineis_signature.hex
- Open a terminal to log the UART @9600bps (8, N, 1) and push the reset button on the Nucleo board
- Find the Kinéis Activation Code in the log, as shown below:
Now go to the Kinéis customer support portal, create your account and log a technical support request containing in attachment:
- the SmartSat agreement and General Terms and Conditions filled out and signed
- the UART log containing the Kinéis Activation Code, as a .txt file
- a photo of your Nucleo board
Please do not forget to specify the Kinéis stack that you want to receive (see introduction above):
- VLDA4 modulation for Low Power short messages service (3-Bytes messages)
- LDA2 modulation for (degraded) standard Data uplink service (24-Byte messages)
In return, you will receive the kimwl_fw_package.tar.gz archive, which you should not extract, as well as your credentials to access the restricted sections of this knowledge base and the Kinéis Services Portal.
When receiving the Kinéis stack on the Kinéis customer support portal, use your credentials to login and refer to the SmartSat quick start restricted article.
To find out more about the next steps, feel free to get in touch with our team and raise a question on the Kinéis customer support portal.